Friday, September 27, 2013

Snaking A Difficult Situation

I learned something new today. Well it’s not that I don’t know how to do it because that would mean I’m simple-minded, but rather it’s not something I would do in normal circumstances. I’ve had to taichi a responsibility to my manager. Some would say that it’s not my responsibility but as a manager myself, I think (maybe stupidly) that it is my mine to resolve.


So the situation is such that one of the axis members decides to plan his leave during the December holidays and month end closing. How can you take leave during closing? Yes it’s not exactly during the closing days but still you need to prep before the close yes? I can understand if you have critical events that are beyond your control like exams or medical appointments. But if it is taking leave for travel then it is something you should have considered clearly before planning for it. As it is, there is no official application on the leave portal as yet, but he has mentioned the dates on an email and also populated the leave on the leave calendar worksheet.

As a responsible manager I should have pointed it out to him that this is not acceptable and rejected it upfront. But given my situation I can ill afford another complaint. Normally you wouldn’t think doing your job right deserves any complaint but you see, I’m working at a ridiculous place. Imagine being afraid of complaints from your subordinates to the point of incapacitation to do what you think and know is right simply because it may not be popular with others. It’s not really that I’m afraid but rather I prefer to avoid since I’ve already gone through several experiences of being left out in the cold to answer for groundless accusations and being penalized for them.

Being unable to come around to a good solution I shared this dilemma with my fellow manager and lo and behold he gave me a wonderful advice. “Pokpok, just send an email as instructed and say you have been informed that the leave cannot be approved.” “That way you still adhere to boss’s explicit instructions and be the caring and understanding manager. You stand in the middle, do your due diligence of informing each party and won’t get into trouble either way.” “If you do get complaints, you can justify that you did your part.” This is why I look up to him. He is able to dissect the issue and serve up well-thought advice on a whim. And best part is that he doesn’t sidestep the questions or problem and sincerely tries to give you his best option.

So I tried this today. I’m crossing my fingers and hoping I come out of this in one piece. And if this works, it can become a showpiece for my future people issues, i.e. don’t go head to head with crazy folks, leave that to your boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment