Post the nonsense meeting where I got bamboozled by the SGH doctors, I'm back at the hospital to tryout the hearing aids. I was reluctant to come because it means I'm paying them more fees for the session but I needed to find out what options I had so here I am. The lady seemed to be surprised to see me. 95% of the folks at this wing are old folks who naturally have hearing problems because of old age. I felt out of place but hey there is nothing to be ashamed of to have a hearing condition.
Anyways, the lady showed me a variety of hearing aids. They run from $1000 for the most basic of models to $5-6000 for the high end ones. I tried a range of them and all had an artificial robotic sound coming through. It also doesn't take away all the sound from Tinnitus so I was cautious to commit to such an expensive buy. The lady did recommend that I go to a private clinic to have it fitted. Since I'm below 60 years old, I don't qualify for government subsidies. So I have to pay full at the hospital whereas I might be able to chance on a deal at a private clinic.
Makes sense. So I asked all the questions I needed and thank her for her time. This session set me back $70 but I supposed I'm more informed now. There is no miracle pill to fix my condition so the sooner I learn to live with it the better.

No comments:
Post a Comment