Since the Hong Kong trip earlier this year we have been itching to go for another holiday. But we didn't think we were ready for another overseas trip especially if we want Nyong Nyama YeeYee and Xinyu to come along. So we went for a staycation in Singapore instead.
Yeeyee found a kids friendly suite promotion at Pan Pacific. Unfortunately there was no availability for the suite theme rooms on the dates we wanted. Nonetheless they managed to secure 2 family theme connecting room packages so that worked out well too ... and at a cheaper price!
It's my first time staying at a Pan Pacific hotel and there were a couple of misgivings about the place even if the rooms were nice.
First the check-in could have been smoother and faster. Meimei probably spend 2-3 hours at the counter ... and that's not even an exaggeration. Check-in was at 3pm but they couldn't get us a room till 4.30pm. Then the other set of connecting rooms wasn't available till 7pm.
Second ... their service recovery for giving us the 2nd room at 7pm was a sham. They offered us 24 hour access to a "lounge" that is nothing more than a space with a coffee machine and some chilled drinks in the cooler. Nyong and Meimei were so excited at first about getting "lounge" access but it all came crashing down when we visited it. It left a very bitter sour taste in all our mouths that we were conned to accept this as the compensation for the late availability of the room. The utter disappointment on their faces were haunting.
Third, I had left our luggages at the concierge for them to bring up to the rooms. I gave them a $10 tip when I handed them the bags so I can go park the car again. It didn't come for a long time and the it came close to 6pm I gave up waiting. I went down to the concierge and demanded for my bags. One of the staff insisted on helping me and so the two of us pulled 5 suitcases and 2 bags up to the room. And then I had to tip him another $10. I don't mind tipping the service staff but this is just sloppy service efficiency.
Last, we couldn't get a table at their in-house buffet restaurant Edge on Monday. I thought hotels usually reserve some tables for their in-house guest. So we had to go to Marina Square and have Putien instead. And then Meimei had to rush back halfway through dinner to get the keys to the other room so Nyaong, Nyama, Yeeyee and Xinyu can settle down in their rooms early.
All these on a first day cemented my view of the Pan Pacific brand. I tried to keep my disdain of the place down in the next few days so I don't spoil anyone's mood. But it would be very difficult to entice me to come back to a Pan Pacific hotel after the bad first day and everything else that came later just seems to be playing catchup but never meeting anywhere close to the mark. As the saying goes, first impressions are always one of the most important factors.
As for the rest of the staycation it was ok, nothing spectacular that makes you want to come back.
The family connecting rooms had a themed children amenities and bed covers and pillows. They also served afternoon treats for the kids which they happily gobbled before dinner. A nice touch but we got to the rooms so late it doesn't feel like a welcome treat.
We brought them to a kids play area by the pool. It was nothing special but at least it kept the kids entertained for the afternoon. I reckon they would have had just as much fun at the neighbourhood playgrounds.
Next morning we had breakfast at the Edge. They gave us a spot at a big square table for 8 which is nice.
After breakfast brought the kids to Kidztopia. It's Xinyu's first time there and mainly played at the sand pit and toddler area.
Dinner was at the Edge, this time I had purposefully reserved a table for 8 during breakfast. Unfortunately Mama, YeeYee and Xinyu couldn't join us. What was special on this meal was that Papa and I took the alcohol package so we had free flow of wine. This is a first for me so I was pretty excited. I drank too much and was snoozing in my seat before we made our way back to the room.
It's really a short holiday. We lose most part of Monday waiting for the room. Tuesday is a full day but we didn't really go anywhere other than Kidztopia. Wednesday is just having breakfast and getting ready to leave before noon.





No comments:
Post a Comment