I'm in Bangalore office this week from Tuesday to Thursday. I flew on Monday morning and was originally going to work in the hotel. But the team wanted me in the office to work through some of the blueprint documents so I made my way there right after I arrived and had a quick lunch.
I was going to fly home on Friday morning so we had our team dinner on Thursday night. It so happens that it is one of the team member's Birthday. He was gracious to join us and we invited his wife too to join us as a gesture of thanks.
The team also bought a birthday cake and we sang a song for him. At the end of the song, I started asking him to make a wish and blow it out. Oddly he did not react to me and I repeated myself, thinking he didn't hear me due to the loud music.
It was then that Savita tapped my arm and told me that in Indian culture it is not auspicious to blow out a light. Ohhhhhh Shittt!! I made a boo-boo asking the birthday boy to blow out the candle! I immediately made my apologies and retreated.
I should be more careful to keep quiet and not get into the moment. Better to go with the flow and what others are doing than try to lead them somewhere like what I do in the office. Thankfully all of them are pretty understanding haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment