Thursday, January 29, 2015

Chinese Names Stump Me

We have chosen Emily for our baby's English name. We love the name. It's sweet, happy and fits well with Pokpok's surname.

The hard part is the Chinese name. We asked Dad and Mum about our family 家谱, and it seems we don't have one. My dad and my generation names were conjured up by my grandpa. I suspect there might be one in China but we've never been there. I vaguely recall Dad saying that my grandparents names are craved in the ancestral temple in China because they donated some monies for the temple. But still it may have been a hoax and the money siphoned off by cunning distance relatives.

So coming to the next generation, we are left to our own devices to come up with a classy elegant Chinese name for our baby. The big problem I have is that I'm very bad at Chinese. I've not studied it since secondary school. Even though I scored better at it, I got a B4 for Chinese versus C6 for English, my command of my mother-tongue language is sorely lacking.

Hence it has come to be that I'm now in an 'approver' role. My parent-in-law and sister-in-law have excellent grasp of the language and have been brainstorming for names over the past few months at our request. They have shortlisted some and ran them with me to see my preference.

憬 jǐng。憧憬 chōng jǐng - 对美好事物的向往 / Looking forward to a bright future. This is the prime candidate for the 2nd character. It works well with my surname 巫 wū which is 第一声. And with it comes a whole suite of 3rd characters for both boys and girls.

Girl: 憬芊jǐngqiān,憬萱jǐngxuān,憬琪jǐngqí,憬曦jǐngxī,憬蓉jǐngróng
Boy: 憬阳jǐngyáng,憬浩jǐnghào,憬涛jǐngtāo

I'm liking the 憬 jǐng variants a lot at the moment. Its not set yet but these names are the most promising. We briefly looked at 芷 zhǐ which also sounds great with 巫 but for now, 憬 jǐng takes top spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment