I started a job with a lot of what I was looking for in an ideal job a year ago today.
1) Individual contributor role
Being a manager is an easy job. Being a good one takes serious work, commitment and sacrifices. After many years of managing teams, I like the change of pace. Focusing on just your own work without worrying about the performance of others takes a lot off the pressure and stress since outcomes are purely down to your own efforts. It's an even bigger plus when they give you the same pay grade as a manager ;-)
2) Pure systems implementation with zero operational responsibilities
Ahhh finally after years of working ridiculous hours during month end, this job's crazy hours is no longer pegged to the calendar days but on stages of the project. I think I was put into the role as the existing lead couldn't handle all the project activities. So because I wasn't the main focal lead for the implementation I had the luxury of better hours since I'm nothing more than a supporting role to the lead.
3) Proximity to home
I go home for lunch everyday. That's enough reason for envy for most folks. Nothing beats having home cooked food, even if most of the time it's just the leftovers. And I get to play with Emily when I'm home so that's another big plus.
4) Nice colleagues
I think I mentioned this in an earlier post. It's a factory plant so I suppose folks are more cordial here than in a corporate office. Also my boss has kids so she is more understanding when I have to work from home on some days when I pull an all nighter watching over Emily.
The contract was for a year because the original plan was to roll out the 2 Singapore in 2015. However due to a total meltdown in an earlier rollout in Hungary, they froze all rollouts in 2015 and we are now rescheduled for Aug 2016. So they offered me a year and half extension to Jun 2017.
It's nice that they wanted me to stay but I am also realistic as to how long this tenure will be. As with all projects, things can go south pretty quickly, e.g. change in project priorities, change in operating climate and restrictions on budget etc. They can release me any time with a month's notice. But until then I am pretty comfortable here. The work is fun and manageable. So I just stay put as long as I can and enjoy the ride.
Being a manager is an easy job. Being a good one takes serious work, commitment and sacrifices. After many years of managing teams, I like the change of pace. Focusing on just your own work without worrying about the performance of others takes a lot off the pressure and stress since outcomes are purely down to your own efforts. It's an even bigger plus when they give you the same pay grade as a manager ;-)
2) Pure systems implementation with zero operational responsibilities
Ahhh finally after years of working ridiculous hours during month end, this job's crazy hours is no longer pegged to the calendar days but on stages of the project. I think I was put into the role as the existing lead couldn't handle all the project activities. So because I wasn't the main focal lead for the implementation I had the luxury of better hours since I'm nothing more than a supporting role to the lead.
3) Proximity to home
I go home for lunch everyday. That's enough reason for envy for most folks. Nothing beats having home cooked food, even if most of the time it's just the leftovers. And I get to play with Emily when I'm home so that's another big plus.
4) Nice colleagues
I think I mentioned this in an earlier post. It's a factory plant so I suppose folks are more cordial here than in a corporate office. Also my boss has kids so she is more understanding when I have to work from home on some days when I pull an all nighter watching over Emily.
The contract was for a year because the original plan was to roll out the 2 Singapore in 2015. However due to a total meltdown in an earlier rollout in Hungary, they froze all rollouts in 2015 and we are now rescheduled for Aug 2016. So they offered me a year and half extension to Jun 2017.
It's nice that they wanted me to stay but I am also realistic as to how long this tenure will be. As with all projects, things can go south pretty quickly, e.g. change in project priorities, change in operating climate and restrictions on budget etc. They can release me any time with a month's notice. But until then I am pretty comfortable here. The work is fun and manageable. So I just stay put as long as I can and enjoy the ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment