Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Shocking Seizure

A parent's worst fear, watching their baby in dire condition and not being able to do anything to rectify it immediately. I hope it never happens again. The anguish and silly thoughts of loss is truly unbearable.

Emily has been running a fever since Saturday. We are at home on Sunday since we couldn't go anywhere. It was time for her medicine and since she hadn't ate we asked the maid to feed her milk. We had just sat down to have our dinner when the maid suddenly shouted "Mum mum mum mum!!" constantly.

We dashed to Emily immediately and there she was having fits. I instinctively took over from the maid who had put her finger into baby's mouth to prevent biting. It was truly shocking and numbing to see her shaking uncontrollably. At one point her eyes started rolling upwards and not knowing what we were dealing with, we were shouting at her to stay with us. Thankfully I had the natural instinct to turn her to the side when I notice she was choking.

Meimei dialed 995 for an ambulance and calmly instructed the maid to pack. I love her ... she has this much needed clear-headedness during times of danger and stress to drive the situation. I, on the other hand, is just a mess. We packed and made our way quickly to the void deck. Surprisingly the ambulance was here a couple of minutes after our call. Meimei carried Emily gingerly in her arms and accompanied her on the ambulance while I drove with the maid to KK Hospital.

It was only at the hospital that we discovered Emily's fit episode was not life threatening. Thank goodness. It seems these happens to 3-5% of children and they usually out grow it by the age of 6-7 years. But since Emily was only 15 months old the doctor decided to admit her for further observation.

Meimei wanted to stay with Emily badly but she herself was running a fever so we couldn't risk it. Since only one caregiver could stay, it was up to me to take good care of Emily. I made a quick trip back home to bath and pack for the next couple of days at the hospital.


Over the next 2 days Meimei and Nyama would come first thing in the morning to check on our little precious one. Everyone was worried sick about her. My dad even came down too after hearing about it from Mum. I was happy to get some time to rest during the day since I keep getting up during the night to watch over our baby.

Interestingly I was getting curious looks from the other mothers and nurse in the ward since I seem to be the only male staying over with the baby. Well to be fair it would have been Meimei if she wasn't sick but still ... they kept looking over to see if I knew what I was doing. I think I did alright hehe *proud stance.


I'm glad we were warded. The nurse would come every hour during the night to check on her temperature. We'll never be able to keep that level of vigilance at home. Her tests came back positive for Influenza A but nothing else life threatening.

Although she was running a slight fever we were allowed to bring her home today since she has not add another Febrile Seizure during the stay. For us its not a done deal yet, we still have to shoulder through the week to make sure her fever breaks. We were under strict instructions to come back for follow up should the fever persist past Thursday. I'm crossing my fingers that all goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment