The original 303 had a traditional longish storeroom where you lose a third of the space simply because there has to be space for the door to open. And then you lose another quarter to cater for a tiny walkway to the back of the room. It was the first thing on my mind to hack away when we first view this unit.
So hack we did and we came up with an alternative storage space. The foyer had been underutilised by the previous owner, they put 2 traditional chinese teak chairs and a coffee table there. The moment I saw the space I knew what I was gonna do to with it.
We build a wooden frame with casement door at the inlet which is a whopping 90cm deep. And instead of building the carcass behind the frame, we left 4 doors empty for metal racking, which saved us quite a bit on the carpentry cost.
So what we have is a stunning monster of a storage space. And because we utilise the existing foyer walkway, none of the storage space is wasted and everything is easily accessible.
We love this so much that we purposely moved the kitchen door just so we can build the same type of storage at 405. I cannot imagine living in a house without this amount of storage. Things would be laying all over the place!


No comments:
Post a Comment