I've always been one for the sauces, especially when it comes to eating western. A piece of fillet is a piece of fillet. A strip of sirloin is a strip of sirloin. Its the seasoning, the marinate and the serving sauce that really brings out the favour of the meats and fish. Some would argue that having just the meat is the best way to taste it. Yes I would agree if this was in a western country where the meats are fresh from the farm. But in Singapore where everything is imported frozen ... nah.
I remember asking for more mushroom sauces on my sirloin beef or more of the white mayo for my surf and turf. Funny thing was, I never bothered with Asian sauces. I think asian cuisine are already coated with too much sauce, and most of them are starchy and sticky ... not really my taste. So as I picked up some of the simpler recipes from the cookbooks, my eyes tend to gravitate towards the sauces preparation steps. I somehow perk up when it comes to making my own sauce.
Since I was making fish these few days, the first I tried was a vinaigrette. I never figured vinaigrette was this easy to make. 4 parts olive oil, 1 part white wine vinegar. Hmm it's that easy? Add in mustard, fried onions, chopped spring onions and whatnot to layer a further favour. Wow ... now I have a good sauce for fish!

No comments:
Post a Comment