I've always been a gamer ... my first computer game was played on a 286 PC (I think Dad got it at a 2nd hand shop). That ancient equipment was followed by a 386 (again might be 2nd hand), an extremely overpriced Compaq Pentium II ($4.5K ... what the hell), a Pentium III lappy during my poly days (it weighted a ton) and finally my last 2 PCs, a Pentium 4 and Pentium Core 2, which I used for years to play FFXI.
Since giving up FFXI and I've rarely played another desktop game. The PCs were replaced by a Macbook and iMac, which doesn't support most games. So I've been on a gaming hiatus since I left FFXI and didn't have an avenue to play till Meimei bought me an iPhone in 2011. Granted the game play on the phone is not as sophisticated and engaging as those on the desktops. But still you could spend hours and hours jabbing at the little screen for entertainment. And the best part is you can do it anywhere.
The initial games I played were those that Meimei played too as I wanted to stay in touch with her and share common hobbies. I tried Nemo, Candy Crush and Farm Heros. But they were simple games and soon enough I was gravitating towards more RPGish turn-based games like Battle Nations and Summoners War. These are more my cup of tea and I've spent countless hours playing those games.
I can imagine how some wives or girlfriends are frustrated when their partner buries his head into the phone or tablet to play his favourite mobile game. I'm sure Meimei gets irritated as well when she is trying to speak to me and yet I'm buried in the game and not listening. But she doesn't react like other partners and will simply let me be and try again later. I'm really grateful Meimei gives me space to play the games.
Now the most incredible thing happened today. She offered to help me play Summoner's War while I was driving. You cannot imagine the excitement and glee I had when she made the offer. It's like when you were young and someone offers attention to what you are doing. You get a joy having the opportunity to share your hobby and interest with someone.
Now the most incredible thing happened today. She offered to help me play Summoner's War while I was driving. You cannot imagine the excitement and glee I had when she made the offer. It's like when you were young and someone offers attention to what you are doing. You get a joy having the opportunity to share your hobby and interest with someone.
I know she still doesn't take to the games I play. But this simple gesture of helping me press the start button and collect the loot really makes my day. What they say is true, its the simple things that keeps a couple happy together. And I am extremely thankful she tries :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment