Wednesday, March 1, 2017

40 Degrees

It's painful to blog about this but I suppose it serves as a gentle reminder of how fragile OO can be. After close to 2 months battling the flu and cold, her tiny body finally couldn't take it and the fever came on Saturday night. It went up as high as 39.2 degrees at one point and it was a scary sight to see her dazed and listless.

She was feverish throughout Sunday and right after her nap in the evening she started twitching. We had learned to recognise the signs of her seizures and immediately took drastic actions. We took her for a bath to try to lower her temperature. She was about 39.5 and was flushing red on her cheeks. Dr Ang had given us what we thought was the rectal insert of Ibuprofen and we administered it right after the bath. Afraid that her fever might continue to escalate (the bath only brought it down 0.5 degrees), we took the opportunity after the bath and medication to send her to Thomson.


Thank God (this has to be the first time I ever wrote this) we took her to the hospital ...


It turns out that the rectal medication we gave OO wasn't Ibuprofen. It was a medication meant for her seizure, and was to be given only after a seizure episode. Wow ... what a relief that we came to the hospital. I cannot imagine the anguish we would be going through thinking we had given Ibuprofen and yet her temperature was constantly rising. We would be out of options to bring her temperature down till the next doze 6 hours later.


So we admitted her on Sunday evening and she was given Ibuprofen through the rectal  to bring her temperature down quickly once we got to the room. Before that I had taken her for a blood test while Meimei worked on the admissions. Dr Ang came down at around 8-9pm when the blood test results were out and ordered two courses of antibiotics. OO is very very sick.


Because one of the antibiotics was through a drip, Dr Ang and the Nurses took OO to a room to insert a needle on her right hand. They also had to bind her left so she wouldn't be able to pull out the needle. She was screaming at the top of her voice while they did the procedure. Meimei and I wasn't allowed in and we could only stand helplessly outside the room while we hear OO's cries for help *Cries >.<


Again like at KK, I stayed to accompany her. Meimei had wanted very much to stay but she had to pick up the new maid on Tuesday. That night I was up every hour and didn't get much sleep. After the Ibuprofen wore off close to midnight her temperature started to climb again. The 2am temperature check put her at 40.2 degrees. She was given another dose of Ibuprofen immediately and I tried my best to sponge her. Thankfully it slowly went down after that.



Monday was trying too. The fever kept coming back and went as high as 38.8 on one of the checks. OO was on a constant course of paracetamol, antibiotics and also an inhaler of sorts to help with the phlegm and breathing. It was only till Tuesday morning that the fever was finally under control.



Seeing that OO was looking better, I took her for a treat at the Delifrance cafe. She loves the cinnamon pastry. Sadly she wasn't well enough for Dr Ang to clear her and she has to stay another day. I let Mama and Meimei fuss over her through the day :-)

As I had an important presentation I couldn't accompany OO for her discharge today. I could only watch for the regular updates from the messages.


Even though she is allowed to go home, OO is still sick and on antibiotics. Nonetheless we were all glad she is back home where everyone can watch over her. I was especially happy when Meimei sent over a picture of her taking an afternoon nap at home. Phew ... the worst is pass but we still have to keep our vigilance up for the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment