Sunday, March 26, 2017

Tipping Cupboard

I never thought it would happen to us. I am aware of the dangers of cupboards tipping but never really see it through that we child-proof the tall furnitures. The cupboard that tipped was one which we bought with the explicit intention of keeping OO's clothes when she was born. Right now, I am just thankful it happen when we were around. I cannot imagine the horror we would face otherwise.


OO have been playing in the room with the maid and kept opening the drawers to check out the contents. The drawers were out in a step formation prior to the tipping. Thank goodness Meimei and I were right by it when OO decided to step on the lowest drawer in an attempt to scale the cupboard.

It happened in an instant. I turned my head to the cupboard and saw the fan and upper drawers falling. I immediately lunged myself against the cupboard in an instinctively reaction, holding up the fan and upper drawers. I couldn't catch the clock nor the other stuff on the top of the cupboard. Meimei was right by me but with her back against the cupboard. She didn't see the tipping cupboard and could only rescue OO after the lower drawers had hit her. Meimei had managed to push the drawers away and yanked OO to safety.

We were pretty shocked after the incident. We didn't dare to discuss what would have happened if we weren't there at that moment. My knee jerk reaction was to give the cupboard away but Mama offered a wise comment: "It is more important to educate OO on the dangers. The same could happen outside home and we can't be there always to protect her." True, this can happen anywhere. I suppose the challenge is getting OO to understand the dangers at her tender age.

No comments:

Post a Comment