Friday, December 8, 2017

An Unsolicited Opportunity

It wasn’t that I was not looking. I sent 3 application via WDA’s jobsbank portal when I lost my SSO a month ago. Nothing was heard of those application, plus my heart wasn’t in it so I didn’t follow-up on them. 

Today, a familiar name messaged me on whatsapp. Joanne, one of the recruiters I’ve met before a couple of years ago. The usual catchup talk ensued, “oh how have you been? Are you still with this company, yada yada”.  Once she ascertain that I might be on the lookout for a new role she shared the prospective job description with me. 

It’s a permanent finance project role under the finance hierarchy with an e-commerce platform. Now I’ve seen a lot of finance project roles and very rarely are they permanent ones. It’s just the nature of this niche area of finance. Finance projects are typically finite, you are brought for BPO or ERP implementation or restructing, etc and once its rollout the role is surplus as maintenance is transferred to the operations or IT teams.

It definitely interest me since a permanent role will alleviate the stress and uncertainty I, and probably Meimei as well, go through every year when my contract role comes to an end. And now with OO and another kid coming along, it’s that much more important I cement a firmer role. Even if I love my current job very much I have to take a broader view and take one for the family. Simply put, it’s no longer about what I want but what is best for the family. Potentially longer work hours, more traveling, less time with family, but ... better security, more money and less uncertainty. 

So I diligently updated my resume and sent it off to Joanne this evening. No delays nor hesitation. *grin here’s the start to a potential new adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment