Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Honouring A Gentlemen's Agreement

I've completed the 2nd round of interview last evening for this new opportunity I mentioned a couple of post ago. I think the VP Finance really liked my style and experience. I have a good feel that I'll get the role. But before I get any further, I have to honour a gentlemen's agreement I made months ago.

I've been deliberating about this since the first interview. It just doesn't feel right keeping this in the dark with the folks at work. And its been bugging me to no end.

You see ... I had given my word to my manager that I would inform her if I was ever looking out for another role. And in turn she will be my character referee. It was a good deal ... who better than your direct manager to authenticate your work ethic, experience, skills, etc. It puts you miles ahead of your competitors to be able to provide this reference.

So today I took the courage and asked my manager if she had a time to chat and laid it on her. She took it well but insist that I do not sign up for anything till she has had a chance to work through something on her end. Although she was careful not to commit anything, she kept sounding out that she will get all her resources and leverage to get me a permanent role. And if she can't, I have her blessing to get onto the next role.

I liked how our conversation went. Happy that I may have a more permanent role at my current workplace. I'll be here for 3 years come next January and have a good handle on things here. It'll be great to continue here if the permanent role materialises. But as always I keep my expectations down and wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment