Thursday, October 20, 2022

Hyper Mobility

I never knew this was a thing. Hyper mobility ... huh?

So we brought 阳阳 to see a specialist today for his walking. He walks slightly awkwardly on his left leg. We asked Dr Ang about it previously and got the usual "wait a little they may outgrow it" response. She did refer us to a specialist so we're at the session today to see if there is anything problematic we should be aware of. Turns out his joints have not stiffen and so the way he walks is a result of his body trying to balance out the limps. It's what she calls "Hyper Mobility". 

The doctor had asked Meimei to bring all his shoes and she tested them by trying to bend them at the soles. All of his shoes failed ... so we have to buy new shoes for him. The good ones are those with firm sloes so his feet can have a stable flat surface. I think its the same concept as a medium firm bed. The kid's body is still developing so a soft bed may result in a slouched back.

Other thing the doctor caught was his lack of muscle strength. And the solution to that is more playground time. Haiz 阳阳 is a Covid baby ... I never really had the chance to bring him to the playground consistently like I did with 萱萱. Oh well, guess its time to make it up.

To help him with stiffening up his hips, he has to sit with his feet pulled in everyday for about 20 minutes. I think it not only helps with his hips and joints but is good for him to keep a straight back posture too. He seems to be slouching a bit so this is like a combo fix.


No comments:

Post a Comment