Got a prompt on my phone for a USD499 charge against Meimei Mastercard sub-card. Huh? What did she buy? Checked with her immediately and she didn't buy anything on Amazon. The USD amount also raised a red flag. If she had purchased anything on Amazon it's usually in SGD.
Further checks on the banking app showed that the charge came from Amazon US. Ok, definitely this is. fraudulent charge. But because this is a fresh unbilled charge, it doesn't allow me to dispute it on the app. So I called and spoke with a customer service. They asked a couple of questions and recommend that I cancel the card. Makes sense but they cannot reverse the charge right now so I have to wait till its billed and put in a dispute.
The fraudsters were pretty "smart" in purchasing something below USD500. The typical default notification threshold is at $500 so this way some or many people would not notice a charge. And unless they comb through the bills they may not notice it and pay for it. Thankfully I always set my notifications at $1. I want to know everything that is being charged, even if I was the one triggering it.
Next step is to remember to dispute it once the charge is posted.
No comments:
Post a Comment