Sunday, November 11, 2007

"It is my Destiny . . . !!"

I have just finished season 1 of Heros. It's this 'new' TV serial about "ordinary people with extraordinary powers". The next evolution of mankind. Think X-men and you'll kinda get an idea of what these series is about.

I borrowed season 1 from a friend sometime last week, but only found time to start last Friday night. Once I started though, bam! I was hooked. Welcome Marathon Session! I started at about 10pm and only stopped at 4am when my eyelids refused to open. Then woke up at 11am and continued till about 4pm Saturday. Hahahaha, this is one of the most addictive and intriguing tv show I've watched in a long long time.

I especially like Hiro Nakamura. He is this quirky non-conformist Japanese character who has the power to bend space time equilibrium to stop time or teleport. Unlike those invincible X-men that goes about saving the world at every turn, Hiro is just a simple person. He trys to find out the meaning of his powers, his purpose, his mission. His character feels so . . . . human.

Maybe it's our nature to want to be special. To be adored, loved, noticed. Everything that the many protagonist in the show are feeling. They have such wonderful and amazing powers, yet they are so vulnerable and weak. They are like the everyday person, yet their lives are 'special'. And I guess that's why we get addicted to it, because we associate our fears, our needs, our dreams with the characters. They show us that no matter how mundane our lives are, we can dream to be the special ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment