Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Good Deed

I did a good deed today. Nothing much except I wished someone did the same for me when I was down on my luck.

It all started yesterday . . . (cue old man with bubbles forming into a thought cloud pic) hehe. I had just brought Meimei home from a wedding dinner at M Hotel and it had started to rain. As I walk along the pathway to the car, I noticed something on the floor. I went close to check it out and sure as the sun, it was a wallet. Looking like it was dropped by someone living nearby, or as I hoped. I ransacked it looking for a phone number so I could call the owner. All this while I was on the phone with Meimei telling her about my find.

Sidetrack - In the wallet: About 8 credit cards from all the banks in Singapore, 60+ dollars in cash, Driving licence, ID card, some name cards of his insurance agent, membership cards. Why would anyone need 8 credit cards?? If you have it, then you have it. Don't need so many to tell the world you have it. Phhffff.

In the end all I could find was an address. Oh . . . it's the same block as Meimei. So I went up to the 11th floor and banged on the door. But oh well, no one was home. Hmm I'll try this tomorrow night again.

Fast forward to tonight. The door was ajar as I approached. Then a lady came to the door looking suspiciously at me. "Yes? what do you want?" Damnit . . . I'm here to do a good deed and yet I'm being eyed like a criminal. "Does Mr. XXX live here?" "Yes, why are you looking for him?" (All this while she gives me the cold shoulder treatment) "I found his wallet last night. Is he in so I can pass it to him?" I pulled out the ID card and stuffed it into her face.

Now she looks stunned. "Oh! My brother dropped his wallet?? How careless of him!" Ding ding ding! Lightbulb blinking in my head . . . wait a sec, she is his sister or so she claims. She doesn't know he dropped his wallet? Hmmm is she really who she say she is? Hmmm.

"Is Mr XXX in? I'll like to pass the wallet to him personally." "No he isn't. But you can pass the wallet to me. I'm his sister." "Hmmm, but I rather pass it directly to him" This time it was my turn to eye her suspiciously. I looked at the ID picture, then stared at her, then at the address, then at the unit number. I think I was so obvious she caught it hahahah. She suddenly turned friendly and opened the grill door. She called her brother, hmm I couldn't catch her conversation, but I assume as much as she came back and told me her brother just told her about it over the phone.

Again, eyeing her with suspicion and distaste, I handled her the wallet. (Me thinking) "Oh well, this is the correct address. No sense wasting more time on this. Just get it off my hands before the owner decides to cast a bomoh spell on it. Can't be too careful with Indonesians."

She took it and first thing she went for was the cash. She was satisfied with the contents and turned to say "Hey, thanks. My brother would like to reward you with something." "Nah, it's ok. I have to go now." I walked to the elevator "No really, my brother is very thankful you brought his wallet back. Please wait." "No, it's ok. Just ask your brother to be careful next time." "Eh, do you live around here?" "No I don't live here, just came over to friend's place" "Oh does your friend live around here?" Hmmm, I getting a sense she is trying to flirt with me *Alarm bells* "Yes, my girlfriend lives around this area" "Oh ok . . ." She looks visibily disappointed. The elevator finally arrived and I scurried away.

Phew . . . why is returning a wallet so troublesome? Haiz, doesn't pay to be nice. But oh well, at least I know I did a good deed.

No comments:

Post a Comment