Thursday, October 30, 2014

Of Aching Backs and Kung Fu Kicks

Pregnancy is tough. You are drained both physically and mentally. And it is not something you could just stop or switch off. Once you are in it, you are in for the long haul. I suppose my role as hubby is to help soothe her aches and pains. And if I can help her emotionally, even better.

Backaches
I'll just say straight off I cannot even begin to imagine the physical pains Meimei goes through. As her tummy grows, so do the backaches. I give her a massage every night to loosen her tense back and shoulder muscles to help her get into a comfortable position for sleep. But she is a light sleeper and I'm pretty sure she has been waking up consistently from the aches. I've asked her many times to wake me up for a rub when she feels stiff but she never did, or at least I was unaware if she ever did (I'm a heavy sleeper). I know she tries not to disturb me *kiss she likes to pamper me too. But still ... I would like to have woken up to make her bedtime more bearable.

I'm hoping the next half of the pregnancy isn't going to strain her back any more than it already is. I think her slightly crooked back is compounding the problem. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that the pregnancy will fix the back. My father-in-law describe that the body and bone movements will help to move the joints and organs back to its original position, kinda like a reset button. I pray she turns out for the better after giving birth.

Kung Fu Kicks
Given the diva our baby is, when she wants something she throws tiny little punches and kicks at Mommy. If Meimei has an early dinner, baby will nudge her when we are close to bedtime and Meimei wouldn't be able to sleep till she has a snack. It happens pretty often, especially 2-3 hours after a meal. I envy the closeness and eternal bond Meimei has with our little one. Meimei keeps me updated on baby's movement so I'm not left out. I really appreciate it, because its something I'll never get to experience, but by telling me about it helps to bring us closer.

I think every husband must appreciate the sacrifice your wife goes through to bring a child into this world. It is as much an engaging process for the hubby and we have a lot to contribute to the journey. I know I have to try harder to read up on the various pregnancy-related stuff so I can contribute more. I just need a big kick up the bottom to get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment