Interesting development at work today.
I just sat down after morning coffee and out of the blue T*resa walked into my cubicle. "Huh?" I thought. Nevermind let's see what she has to say.
"Ivan, you are a ACCA graduate right? Have you done GL before" "Yahh . . . ??" I was scrambling to think of where she is going with this. "Ok, not sure if you have heard about it, but KL just tendered last Wednesday the 15th and her last day is next month 14th." "Oh shit . . . I didn't know about that." "As you know I'm going for my maternity leave so I can't get a replacement for her right now. I've talked it through with HR and I want you to take over TD Finance till I come back." "Oh ok . . ." "In the meantime, we are proposing to ask CY to come over to take over your team temporarily. Then when I come back we'll hire another person to take over AP and you can come over permanently."
Up to here I was kinda on the receiving end, mostly due to minor shock of hearing KL leaving and more importantly that someone else is coming over to take over my team, which I've painstakely build up over the past months. I would think my team is the strongest at the moment among the 4 under T*resa, and to have it taken away jolted me.
"Hmmm, I think I can take over TD at the moment while still managing my team. My team is very efficient and I'm sure I can manage both teams." In retrospect, most people would say I'm crazy to be taking 2 teams, but I didn't want to give up my team, yet I can't say no to T*resa. Thus I took the risk and said I wanted both . . .
"Ok, set. I'll go propose to G*ru now to have you take over TD and CY to come over." "Oh ok . . ." Wait, didn't she hear what I just said? Bah . . . it was more of a "informing you" conversation rather than a discussion up to now.
So off she went to G*ru's office. Then half an hour later she came back. "Ok just discussed with G*ru. He is not comfortable with CY coming over and having a look at our things. So we have decided that you will take both teams temporarily. Are you able to cope with that?" "Hmm should be ok." "How about I transfer P2P project to WH?" "Nope, it's ok, I want to run the project." "Ok, then we'll transfer the payment checking to him ok?" "Yup, sure." And that was it. I have to now break into 2, sharing my time with 2 teams. Hopefully this pans out.
Detour: I was tasked as the P2P project representative for AP ahead of WH a few days ago. WH didn't take it too well. But I'm not giving up this opportunity, considering he was supposed to be the Workflow project lead but I did most of the setup instead. I think G*ru and T*resa saw it and decided to appoint me as the project lead instead, rather than giving WH a name in the P2P project, like what happen with Workflow.
After thought: Am I taking more than I can handle? Hmm maybe. But this is also a very very good opportunity to show my abilities. It's kinda do or die thing. If I survive, I suspect I can go further in this company. Fail and it's byebye. So the next 6 months are the most critical period in my career at this company. I'm going to try my best and pull through it. *Jia you!!!!*
No comments:
Post a Comment