Thursday, May 14, 2020

Growing Green Bean Plant

Last week's home based learning was all about growing plants. We didn't have the beans so Meimei and I have been out hunting for green beans at the mall. Interestingly, the shelves are out of all sorts of beans. I suppose everyone's hoarding due to the lockdown and supply chain are adversely impacted by disruptions. We finally managed to get a pack and for some odd reason there were these disposable bowls lying around the place. No idea where they came from and what they were for ... and since they are lying around I didn't bother to ask and simply took them instead for the kids to plant their green beans.

At first they didn't understand the concept of a seed growing into a plant and it was not very interesting. But as the days pass and the stalk start growing they were very excited to water them daily. I think its a good way to teach them about caring for others and responsibility but I'm realistic that they may be still too young to understand such life concepts.


They lost interest after awhile but that's ok. It was meant to be something fun to do at home that doesn't take a lot of effort. At this point anything besides watching TV is a welcome activity to entertain them. I strongly believe kids should go out and play, and have the opportunity to learn from play. But with the Covid situation and lockdown in full force I really sympathise with the kiddos who are stuck at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment