Thursday, August 15, 2013

Fishhead Steamboat - Nam Wah Chong, Chiang, Chang?

My parents love Fishhead steamboat and would usually go to the neighbourhood kopitiam to get their fix. For me it's more of a curious thing in the lines of "Hmm yeah I like fish, so what's so nice about fishhead steamboat ... there are alot of people eating this ... should be nice, let's try ... maybe it's an acquired taste and I would fall in love with it after I eat the right ones ... etc" and it goes on and on. So it's been on my mind for some time and I'm always reminded of it when we drive by a fishhead restaurant after dinner at Beach Road market.

It just so happens that we were at the market one day a month ago and lo and behold, the market was closed for cleaning. Not wanting to drive around to look for another dinner spot, I suggested we try this corner shop I've always had my eyes on. We went in blind as to the menu and prices. Nam Wah Chong ... hmm I think I read about this somewhere, and given the crowd it must be good yah. And because we were here for the first time I didn't feel like spending too much and ordered the 'cheapest' fish - Red Snapper. Verdict, soup is fragrant, Meimei liked the yam, fish had lots of bones and not enough meat, expensive $50+ for the steamboat and a plate of vegetable.


Though we didn't want to eat at this place again, we were game for fishhead steamboat when John recommended this place diagonally across the junction. So today we are at Nam Wah Chang. Hmm the name looks so much the same. What gives? A little snooping on the web solved the mystery. 

ieatishootipost.sg (Apr 2011) - "Now there are a few Nam Wah Chang restaurants around and it may get quite confusing.  As far as the owner, Ah Chew, is concerned, his is the only original Nam Wah Chang which can trace its roots back to 1927.  There is another Nam Wah Chang over at Teck Chye Terrace which is run by his ex-wife.  Then there is a Nam Wah Chiang diagonally across the road from where he is.  That one is run by a friend (ex-friend really) of his who took over his previous shop space and did not bother to change the name of the restaurant when Ah Chew moved out."

Ahhh so now we know. We actually like the pirated version more than the original one! Maybe we were biased as we ordered a Pomfret this time. But at $113 for 5 pax its a steal. The soup was thick, lots of fish meat to go around, other side dishes were tasty, place was cooling and a little away from the dust of the road. Authentic or not, I would come back to this one if I want to have it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment