Saturday, August 24, 2013

Risky? Yeah It Sure Is Risky To Talk About Risk!

I'm supposed to be writing about my studies in the academy blog. But I would like to keep that mostly professional where possible and I think rants should be kept here instead. Rants are more emotional than logical.

I'm taking Risk Management as an elective module this term. Like any other modules, there is usually an individual assignment due before the workshop. So I've read through the whole study guide and wrote a piece on outsourcing options and associated risk. The result - 50/100 ... what the ... Checking on the discussion boards, there are folks appealing their results and asking if they could do another assignment for credits to pass the module. 

Coming back to mine, the professor's comments were something like "Succinct to say the least, there is very little on risk management". My first reaction was "What the ****, if I'm good at risk management I wouldn't be taking this elective now would I??! I'm here to learn, not to regurgitate knowledge I know well to get As on my MBA ..." About the last part, maybe thats what some smart people do, but that's them. But I did outline the project, identify the risk, assess them, rate them in an probability impact grid and propose mitigating avenues. Yeah it's not professionally done but hey, wake up ... that's why I'm taking this course ... to learn how to do it right!

Let's see how the workshop goes. I have very little expectations of the course now. The study guide and textbooks go on and on about the concepts and theories on risk management but very little on the application of the risk assessment methods. Hence I think I have every right to ask why in the world does the lecturer think students like myself, who has never done a risk evaluation piece in real workspace, is able to write on the application of such methods on a project. Sigh ... a few professors have their brains up their ass. This must be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment