Saturday, November 8, 2014

Pre-Natal Classes - Week 1 : Foods

I've been meaning to sign up for parenting classes since the start of the pregnancy. I've envisioned fun sessions with Meimei as we try out the exercises and baby care. I see it as a good couple activity and bonding opportunity. The classes didn't disappoint, with a mix of lectures and exercise workouts. Although there were parts that were boring, the overall experience is worth the expensive course fee. It came up to about $350 for five two-hour sessions.

It is comforting to see that there are many other parents just as 'clueless' as me who have signed up to learn. Surprisingly every dad was there to accompany their wive though I suspect some may not be there willingly *grin judging from the aloofness and silence with their wives. Also a clear tell-tale sign is their long focused attention on their mobile phones rather than the lessons. I, for one, am enjoying the course and taking in as much as I can.

This week is the first sessions so the logistics took a little longer. I like how the lecturer offered her personal mobile number so mothers can Sms her anytime to ask about any pre/post natal queries. I applaud her for that as it really gives mothers a sense of comfort. It takes a truly caring person to offer such follow-on free consultations outside the classroom.

So the sessions are vaguely broken into 2 segments. First is the lecture where she will show us a video, followed by a slide presentation. The other part of the session involves exercises to stretch and soothe the aching muscles.

Food is the topic for the week. It's the usual advice you would hear from your gynaecologist. Avoid raw food, eat lots of fibre and take your vitamins and supplements. Interestingly she mentioned that the omega-3 pills are actually meant for the mother, to lower the risk of post-natal depression. I always thought it was for the baby to help with brain development but glad that it is helping Meimei as well. Other little titbits include her experience with some mothers that cannot take chinese supplements such as ginseng and bird nest.

The lecturer also surveyed the room on the type of foods that mothers like and it seems Meimei's odd craving to laksa is not uncommon. A few mothers shared that they crave for curry, spicy food, maggi mer and even cold drinks. The most regular response though is fried and junk food. Meimei seem to have wean off most of the initial cravings and is back to eating the healthy foods.

The highlight of the sessions, at least for me, are the exercises. I think Meimei needs these badly to help her with her back. And it seems backaches are a common ailment during pregnancy. You can see the increased attention and knowingly nods as the lecturer describes the back pains.

I find the pelvis raise and angry cat to be most useful. Fathers were encouraged to join in the exercises so you get a feel of the muscles stretched and can help your wife with them.

Another key takeaway is the recommendation to use 2 pillows for the head and to put a pillow between the thighs when sleeping. This helps to keep the spine straight as you lie on the side. Amazing how simple things like that can make sleeping easier for Meimei.

I'm looking forward to next week's lesson, especially for more exercises and tips to make the pregnancy as comfortable for Meimei as it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment