Saturday, November 15, 2014

Pre-Natal Classes - Week 2 : Pain Relief

This week's topic is on pain relief. This is an important topic for us since Meimei has low tolerance for pain. I think the most common method we've heard of is Epidural, which is an injection of painkillers into the spinal cord to numb the lower body. As the medication delivery is invasive, there is always an underlying fear of complications or side effects like nerve damage. Most articles I've come across on the internet says it is low risk, but I'm still skeptical.

We were shown a video on the various pain relief options such as TENS, Entonox (Meimei calls it the laughing gas), Pethidine, Epidural, Water delivery etc. It's useful to know the variety of pain relief options. I was tickled by the image of a pregnant lady sucking on the mouth piece delivering the Entonox gas. It looks somewhat like a druggy getting her fix!

We had a brief review of week one's topic on food, though I can't recall much of it now. The one thing I did remember, because it was somewhat disgusting, was the discussion on placenta and how some would preserve it to make pills or soup. It's an old chinese medicinal practice but I really can't see Meimei or myself drinking a placenta soup ... Eeeee, just thinking about it makes me want to puke. Thankfully the class didn't dwell too long on this topic.

For the exercise segment, we expanded on the angry cat exercise to extended cat. Meimei didn't take to this since she was already not keen on angry cat to begin with. The activity that Meimei liked though was the basic shoulder & hand rub, which happens to require hubby to administer. Hahah. Her face literally light up and soften as I gently rub her little palms. I can foresee nightly should and hand massages for my dearest honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment