I was sending my baby home. We got onto the elevator and up to the 21st storey. As she was getting off, the doors suddenly close in on her. Luckily, it only caught her hand as she pulled away back into the elevator.
The elevator stalled and the doors refused to open again. It kept banging in the closing motion while an annoucement echoed in the elevator : " This is an emergency annoucement. For your own safety, please do not force open the door. . . ". Wow . . my very first elevator breakdown! Help! Help! Call the Police! the Fire department! the Special Task Force! the Army! Call the damn President!!!!
So there we were, stuck in the elevator. It had stopped on the 21st floor so we could peer through the windows to the corridor. My darling called the emergency number listed on the elevator wall and they said they would be coming soon (I had left my phone in the car ... so much for being the knight in shining armour).
We sat on the floor and waited, while listening to her ipod playing Scissor Sisters medleys. Hmm what's this feeling i'm getting . . .
" Stuck in a lift,
I banged desperately ,
Longing for the gift,
Of freedom and reprieve.
Where is my saviour,
To rescue me from the pits,
My maiden in shining armour,
Oh I'll love her to bits. "
- Pokpok, 04 Oct 2007
Fear of Heights
I have this fear of heights . . . Yes . . . it's not manly. But I can't help it. My head goes into dizzy spells and my hands start trembling. My mind would play tricks by imagining me falling off the edge to my death.
It was a good thing we could only see the corridor. But I still can't help it knowing we were on the 21st storey. What if the elevator grips start to give way? What if the steel ropes were suddenly cut? What if . . .? Phew . . . fortunately my mind didn't get to wander for too long. As I held onto my honey's hand, I felt a sense of comfort and relief. My maiden in shining armour . . . Hehehehe.
But this incident changed my life though. Ha! I'll never live in an apartment higher than 10 storeys, at least not till I conquer my mortal fear of heights . . . or maybe if my lady holds my hand always.
No comments:
Post a Comment