Thursday, October 11, 2007

Please take care of yourself . . .

My girl has been getting gastric pains recently and it's still coming while she is in China. She has had this problem since young. Apparently her family has it too. But that's not the important thing here.

The important thing is knowing to take care of oneself. I have a colleque Nancy who has gastric problems as well. But she has learned to bring a packet of biscuits with her everywhere, to munch whenever she feels hungry. She also takes her meals timely everyday. She says these days she doesn't get the pains as often since she had started to watch over herself. I guess it's because she is a mother of a 3 year old boy. She has to look over someone, thus becoming more self-conscious of her own health as well. As she puts it, "I watch over myself so I can enjoy my life with my hubby and baby. If I fall sick, I feel pain. But they would hurt even more in their hearts."

I hope my girl can learn to take care of herself. I remember her telling me she skipped lunch yesterday. . . it hurts my heart to know that. It's like seeing someone destroying their life and yet there is nothing you can do to help. It's this sense of helplessness that drives me crazy. Work is only important if you have the health to enjoy your fruits of labour. What's the use of slogging when you would be lying in hospital because of it?

I really don't know what I can do or say to help her. She can only help herself. Much like how I can only quit smoking on my own will. I can only pray she becomes a big girl sooner. . .

" Like a baby in a craddle,
Raising her arms to the sky,
I help my baby across the puddle,
Hoping she will try.

There is only so far,
My body can carry her,
The paths are made of tar,
And I can't always be near. "


- Pokpok, 11 Oct 2007
One's path

No comments:

Post a Comment