Tuesday, July 28, 2026

The Mystery Headache: Day 19 Spine MRI

I was scheduled for the spine MRI yesterday late morning. So the nurses came to poke my hand right before 6am and drew blood to test for kidney function before they proceed with pump a dye for the MRI scan. It was standard procedure but I still didn't like being with a drip again. Both hands are now full of holes!

I had to keep still for 45 minutes during the scan. The MRI tech tried to make me as comfortable as possible but I still felt a strain on the back 15-20 minutes in. I endured the discomfort and strain as best as I could and was so relieved when it's done.


I got a WhatsApp message yesterday mid morning from one of my colleagues. They wanted to send me a hamper so I gave them the ward and bed details. Delivery was very quick ... it came right after lunch.

The pain doctors came together with the neurologist team this morning to review the MRI results - they are now taking the lead from the neuro team since it is now focused on the spine. The MRI confirmed there is fluid leakage in the spine and it's visible. Docs mentioned it's very rare they actually see it - most cases similar to my symptoms will recover in about 2 weeks with rest. But in my case I've been here for 2 weeks with no signs of marked improvement. They are unable to tell where exactly is the tear so we have 2 options, we can try to do a blind blood patch at the area where they see the leaked fluid or go for more complex and invasive scans.

Pain doc mentioned they happen to have a slot late morning tomorrow to perform the blood patch so they are reserving the slot first. They have to consult the radiologist team to determine if it is useful to even do further scans. Further scans would involve injecting contrast (dye) into blood, hope that when blood produce cerebral fluid, the contrast will follow and be able to see the flow of cerebral fluid. They would strap me to a rotating table and hit me with CT rays while rotating me around to see the dye flow.

I have till tomorrow morning to decide if I don't want to do the blood patch. They would draw blood from me and inject it into my spinal cord area like a epidural painkiller procedure for pregnant women. There would be pain and fullness in my back as they inject the blood. I need to be awake to alert the team when I feel the discomfort or pain as they can determine when they should stop the injection.

Sounds scary but I cannot continue staying at the hospital. I've been pretty compliant and resting 99% of the time but I'm not getting any better. Barring any new information, I'm doing the blood patch tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment