Wednesday, July 29, 2026

The Mystery Headache: Day 20 Blood Patch

Waiting for something that you are unfamiliar with is such a nerve-wrecking experience. The op was scheduled at late morning but I didn't know exactly what time it will be. And I had to fast and could only take sips of water while I wait. The nurse eventually came to wheel me to the operating theatre. 

First they brought me to a general waiting area. I was there for probably 20-30 minutes. I couldn't really tell the time as they had me take off everything on me. I had to change into a disposable underwear under the hospital garb. Then they wheeled me to a staging area right outside the operating theatre.

 There was a patient before me and once they wheel the other patient out, a doctor came out to explain the procedure and what they need me to do. I've heard it before when the pain lady doc explained it to me in the ward but it doesn't hurt to hear it again. I would be awake during the whole procedure so I can provide feedback. They would draw 40-50ml of blood from me and inject it into my spine. There would be feeling of fullness, aching and pain but we need to inject at least 25ml to have better chances of filling up the tear. So basically he was telling me to bear with it as much as possible.

While we wait for my turn to go in, another 2 doctors came out and they were chatting on how rare my condition is. But one doctor says that he sees this hundreds of times a year in Toronto. So they were discussing that my condition is more recognised in western countries and may be more cases here in Asia but most just write it off as severe migraines. Well it's good to know that this is getting more recognition in Singapore ... I can't imagine being blown off and told to go home and suck it up.

There were moments of apprehension when they pushed me into the theatre but it's too late to stop now. This is the first time I've been a patient in an operating theatre so it was kinda novel to see all the machines, tool tables and light stands. Everyone was in hospital garb with gloves and masks. They had me roll over onto a pillow they have placed on the operating table with my back facing up. They then proceeded to strap all manner of wires and tubes to my body. They gave me some good stuff through the needle on my left hand and then located a major vein on my right wrist and drew 5 vials of 10ml blood.

I was awake but had my face planted against the table so I could only listen and feel all the things going on. First they attempt to find an entry point for the needle. They press a device against my back and you can hear a buzz each time they shoot the CT rays to see the area. They landed on an area between the T8 & T9 spinal cord. Then I can feel a needle go in and they begin injecting the blood. I started feeling discomfort and pain in the buttocks. I bore it as much as I could and we ended at the 4th vial. I was glad the doctors were calling it a success and I was brought out to the waiting area again to rest. It was a while before they brought me back to the room.

The change was obvious once I was back in the room. I now have a light headache while I was lying down on top of the soreness and pain in the tailbone and buttocks. The doctors explained to me before the op that the added blood in my spine would cause higher pressure since my body would not have adjusted the production of spinal fluid to the new mass. So the only I can do is pop the painkillers and rest. I have to stay in a flat position for at least 24 hours to allow the blood to spread across the spine and hopefully seal up the tear wherever that may be.



No comments:

Post a Comment