Meimei managed to catch the doctor today when they came to do their morning rounds and asked about my condition. Currently the top suspect is still brain fluid leakage which happens when there is tear along the spinal fluid walls. They advised that with enough fluids and bed rest, it typically will heal on its own. However based on today's condition, it doesn't seem to be improving as much as they had hoped after 3 days of rest.
So the next step is to schedule for a MRI brain scan. However the earliest slot is next week. And then they offered a scheme called 'CGH @Home' where in-patients get to go rest at home while waiting for tests. It sounds good but there were couple of concerns.
The main one is that if we are at home, I suspect we would not be given priority should a MRI slot open up. I think I would stand a higher chance if I am already present here in the wards and can easily go down at a moment's notice.
Next, it doesn't really work when I'm on a drip. I can't easily wheel the drip stand around since there is a drop down area in the master toilet. I can get help from the nurse to stop the drip when I want to go shower. How am I going to do any of this at home ....
Then there is the unknown cost savings or should I say ... lack of. We were told we will save on the daily ward fees but there will be ambulance transport charges, equipment rental fees, doctor/nurse travel fees for the daily home visit. So it sounded like it's square. And if that's the case I might as well stay here.
Lastly, they have a shortage of beds so I suspect they are trying to get anyone not in dire straits to go home. Sneaky way of generating more revenue too since they are still going to charge me while they free up a bed for another patient. Plus when I come back for the MRI, I would not have a place I can lie down to wait and am likely to end up in a wheelchair and battling nausea.
So all in all I'm not keen to do the CGH @Home scheme. Pretty nonsense ... especially when I have adequate insurance coverage.
No comments:
Post a Comment