Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Choking

I'm on leave today for Emily's PD appointment so was able to arrive early in the morning to have a look. What greeted me was a mysterious flood in the master bathroom.


This is just so weird. It wasn't there before yesterday. I tried searching for a water source but there wasn't any marks on the wall except for the existing dripping of the ceiling. But that couldn't have filled the entire bathroom ... Having ran out of ideas where the source of the leak was, I left Norman and Zax a message to get someone to come check.

There was also no one around even though I had expected the marble guys to continue their works. So I left the place to tabao breakfast and target to get home by 10am for an appointment with a mover.

When I was done buying breakfast, I decided to pop up to the unit again for another quick look. As I exit the lobby, I find a middle aged lady taking a photo of our renovation permit. "Another 'Friendly' Neighbour!" was my immediate thought.

After introducing myself as the home owner, I found out that she is our downstairs neighbour and her toilet is leaking. I told her that's not possible since we had redone our bathrooms and taken extra precautions with the water-proofing since we were going to have HIP in a year or two.

So I invited her into the unit to have a look. And we found the source of the flooding. 


Our common bathroom had choked. And the water has flowed into the master bathroom since it was on a lower level. And it is also causing a minor leak at the piping of the neighbour. 

She insist that I ask my ID to send someone to help her fix her ceiling.

Neighbour: "You have to send someone to help repair the ceiling leak."

Pokpok: "No worries, I'll ask my ID to come take a look. But it is very unlikely that the leak is from us ... we had done proper waterproofing."

Neighbour: "When the ex-owner renovated, there was also leaking and they sent someone to help fix our ceiling." (She said it with a very confident and smuck face)

Pokpok: "That's ok I'll get my ID to take a look. But anyways no worries, he is very experienced. He went to take a photo of your bathroom ceiling before the renovation start. So if it's damaged by our renovation he will surely repair it for you."

The moment she heard it her facial expression changed from smuckness to a concerned frown.

Neighbour: "When did you take a picture?"

Pokpok: "Before our renovation started, your tenant let us in to take pictures. My ID is very experienced and careful. Met a lot of people who complained renovation caused ceiling damage so he takes picture first to protect his company."

The body language on the lady now practically says she wants to leave immediately. Her attempt at getting a free repair on her ceiling has literally vanished and she couldn't wait to get out of our unit.

Before I bid her off, I asked that she make a complaint with HDB town council that her ceiling is leaking so they can send someone to come flood my bathrooms to check for leaks. I wanted a freebie check on the quality of the waterproofing done by Norman muhahhahahah. But I seriously doubt she'll submit the complain ... you can tell her primary goal was to elicit a free repair ... and the leaking was simply a convenient excuse.


This is the photo of the ceiling Norman took before the renovation started. Hahaha I guess she wanted someone to repair her spalling concrete for free. Anyways Norman's tiler came over at noon and clear the choke in our unit. He also went down to our neighbours unit to check on it.

Sigh ... I'm now beginning to suspect the reason for units being constantly put up for sale in this block is due to the 'friendly' neighbours. We need to thread very carefully with all these busybodies, cheapo, unreasonable people watching for every opportunity to screw you over. Anyways at this point it is still Pokpok 2 - "Friendly" neighbours 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment