Since we moved out for the training couple of days it's been pretty much the same drill over the last couple of days. So rather than separate posts for each day I've decided to put it all in one post in brief highlights.
25 Sep
We have a fair deal of work today. Finished up the camo net for the MP tent in the early morning and proceed to install concertina wires around the command post. The area covered was pretty huge .... we used about 45 rims of concertina wire.
Afternoon was spent lazing in the tentage, did a bit of work camo-ing the store tonner. I've been adopting the switch-off approach. This is the last reservist already and being 38 I can no longer carry the stores like I did 10 years ago. I have to watch my back and be mindful to bent the knees and carry stuff that are lighter etc.
26 Sep
We were supposed to move off but with CDF coming, all manner of warfare strategy was thrown out of the window. I suppose I shouldn't be complaining, why go through another round of perimeter defence when we already invested so much effort on the current one.
In other news, I managed to find a wonderful spot for potty. It's a small noll with a ridge line stretching about a kilometer. My initial plan was to hold it in ... for a good 6 days 5 nights. But eventually nature caught up with me (this is actually a good thing) and the urge to go finally came. Although the urge came, it somehow disappeared with I went with Vik, Joe and ZH to scout it out in the morning. All 3 went about their business except me >.<. So while I wait for them to do their deed I climbed to the top of the ridge to get a 360 view of our training area. It was an amazing sight, you can even see the sea at a distance from the top.
I returned to the hill in the afternoon to finally poop. It was such a relief to finally go. All the pend up anxiety and restlessness finally dissipating.
27 Sep
CDF came yesterday afternoon and so there was talk of moving out again for the next point at either 9pm or 3am this morning. Both present safety issues though the 3am one might have better light since the mornings start early here in Rockhampton.
It turned out we had the night to rest. The order to move came in the wee hours and we started tearing down the defence at 5.30am. We had a good couple of hours to remove the concertina and eventually moved a little while after lunch. By the time we reach the next site it was already 5 plus. Given limited daylight we setup our tent and went to bed. Another night of good rest!
28 Sep
The day was uneventful except for a minister visit and an emergency run for potty due to eggs for breakfast. Those were potent eggs, gave me LS in the afternoon. I had to make a 'tactical' move to the front sentry and bashed through the back deep to the woods since the minister was here when my tummy decided to call it quits.
The whole exercise was finally cut at about 7pm. For safety reasons we did not immediately proceed back to camp and were to stay another night here instead. Everyone was gripping about it but I shared the horrible experience the previous time I was where our driver literally flew back to camp at full speed. We were hanging for our dear lives then. So I offered that it was a prudent approach to stay out for another night before embarking back to camp the next day.

No comments:
Post a Comment